Sunday, September 11, 2011

We will never forget.....

Today is the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attacks on 9/11...



It was a day none of us will ever forget....and each of us can probably remember exactly what we were doing when we heard the news. 

I was a sophomore in vet school and had just reported to my job in the histopathology lab in the basement of the vet school in between my classes. I walked into the lab and one of my co-workers said 'two planes have hit the Twin Towers in New York City'....I didn't really understand what she was telling me. My first reaction was 'how could two pilots make the same mistake and run into a building?' Before I could even ask any questions she said....'they think we are under attack'...and then I understood. We of course were glued to the computer screen but the Yahoo homepage was stuck and couldn't upload information fast enough due to all of the internet traffic that day. 

So we waited....and tried to go on with our work. They set up TVs in the hallways and had an audio stream of the news in one of the lecture halls. We of course were hoping classes would be cancelled that day...but no luck....not a lot of learning happened the rest of the day. 

ISU's vet school had a contract with New Jersey to take 4 students from their state into each class. So we had friends and students that did have a direct connection to and family that lived in the area. My friend Kim was from New Jersey and her boyfriend lived in Northern NJ and could see the smoke plumes from the buildings from his backyard. 

I had been to NYC twice during that spring and summer....once in May with my friends Emily and Angie as a birthday present from Nathan to get engaged....



...and then again just a month before the attacks in August to visit my friend Kim in NJ. I hadn't ever been in the Towers but seeing how much the skyline has changed in these old photos....it's very eery. 

Even after watching the memorial service this morning on TV it doesn't seem like it's possible 10 years have already come and gone. The feelings of sadness and tragedy are still very palpable. I walked by the WTC site just a few weeks ago and as I said before....it still gives me goosebumps. I can't wait to go back and be able to walk through the memorial.

Of course, I don't forget the attack on the Pentagon and the heroes that were able to divert Flight 93 to avoid hitting yet another building. 

I don't forget the instant feelings of unity and patriotism this nation had...feelings that seem to have been too easily forgotten. 


No, we will never forget.....


No comments:

Post a Comment